Thursday, April 2, 2015

Adolescent Interview Blog (Week 11)



I did a little bit of a variation on this assignment.  I took some of the questions that other students in our class posted in the Questions for Adolescent Interview discussion space (in Moodle) and made up two short surveys and distributed them to a few of the students in my school.  I was tempted to make up my own questions, but thought that by using others' questions, I would control for my own biases (by not biasing the survey from my own point of view).  I gave out two different surveys (to reduce bias even more) and collected 10 responses.  I could have collected more but then it would have moved far away from the personal to an impersonal research study. The students I gave the surveys to enjoyed doing the survey, as they were interested in the topic of social media. 

My unscientific findings based on these 10 responses are:

Most of the students said they use Facebook, but most said they really liked Instagram.  Many used an iPhone or a cell phone, but a number wrote that they also used a computer.  Most liked to post photos and liked to share photos.  Many liked to watch videos and listen to music.  I could see from the answers that a number of students spend a lot of time online on social media.  Some students admitted spending from 3-6 hours per day on social media.  Some of the students said they like to chat with or text-message their friends.  Some students said they made friends through social media.   

Most of the students said they spend a lot of time on their cell phones.  I could see that most preferred Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.  A number of students expressed concerns with privacy issues, such as sending a message to one person, and it would end up with someone else, especially from group chats.  One student said “You don’t know who is watching.” This same student also said: “Interpersonal relationships can go good or bad because of the things you post.” One student said that they like that they “could find a person’s information” but did not like too much information on war and hunger.  Another student said that they “dislike the risk of privacy issues.”  A different student said that they had problems with some friends because if the friend “didn’t like their picture, they would start fighting by text.”  As far as school work is concerned, one student wrote: “Once I can find all the answers, I don’t use my brain to think.  So I don’t have enough critical thinking.”  The same student also wrote: “I always use Google to research what I want.  It’s really useful.”  This same student also said (about communicating through social media): “I like it.  Because everyone can ask any question and discuss together.”

What surprised me is: that a number of the students said they did not make new friends with anyone online, and some did not want to meet new people online.  Most of the students wanted to know what was going on socially online, but were not always happy to take so much time to socialize online.  Most of the students said they just wanted to interact with their friends, but some of the students said that they might friend people they did not know (“it depends”).  One student said that they “received many requests [for becoming friends with someone far away geographically] but I didn’t take the chance.”  Only one of the students said they used Twitter.  Another thing that surprised me is that some of the students said that social media was very distracting and could take up too much time.  None of these students said that they had been bullied online but that they were aware of this issue and were against bullying.  Only about half of the students said they played games (such as MMORPG and Clash of Clans).  One student said they played educational games. 

What I learned is: that most of the students approached social media somewhat differently.  While most of the students were on Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram through their phones, each student had his/her own opinion about social media and how they wanted to use it.  Some students were willing to friend new people while others would not risk it.  All the students spent different amounts of time on social media, but photo sharing appears to be the biggest commonality.  Some of the students were less taken up with (or distracted by) social media while others spent many hours per day online.  

Based on this experience, I am really tempted to do a research study on this topic and try to publish a journal article in my area of practice.  I think it would be a very interesting experience.

1 comment:

  1. Robert,

    This is very promising. I am always curious if students realize that searching for information on the Internet can affect their critical thinking skills. Now we need to educate our educators on how to help people become better consumers of content.

    They need to realize that they can still be critical thinkers when viewing other people's work whether it's opinion or factual materials from reliable sources. Of course, there is the need to teach that there are many unreliable sources out there, so buyer beware.

    The details of the wariness on the part of the students is encouraging. I love that they are curious about social media, but cautious. It makes me so happy to hear that the students are being educated on this if they are not realizing is for themselves.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete